Monday, December 24, 2007

Views From the Wheelchair Part 2

Okay, I know I only seem to have one subject, but, well, there is really only one thing on my mind these days. The other day I finally ventured out and used my right as a handicapped person to ride the C-Van (short bus) to go shopping. First thing: That elevator lift thing on the side is friggin' terrifying! Way too high and all that is saving me from death is my wheelchair brakes? LOL! Not a good time!

Then, they get you in the van and they strap your wheelchair down from 4 different directions which makes me wonder, "Are we going to drive or does this thing take off like an airplane?" As soon as we were underway the reason for all the straps was apparent: The driver drives very fast. Very fast. I needed every strap that was attached to my chair.

So, I arrive at the Trader Joes to finish my shopping. The bus driver unloads me and off I go...sort of. I got stuck on the little ramp leading into the store and I couldn't do anything but spin my wheels. Some angel of a man grabbed my chair from behind and pushed me into the store, wished me Merry Christmas and headed off into the store (I never did see his face). My first glimpse of the level of humanitarianism which is still alive and well in the world.

While shopping I realized that virtually everything I wanted was on a shelf I couldn't reach. Since I had my goods basket in my lap I couldn't really stand up, so I had to wait for somebody to come by and ask them to hand me things; everybody was glad to help me.

When I was done shopping I asked the store if I could leave my groceries behind the counter while I did some other things in the shopping center; the checker gladly stashed my groceries, and even put my frozen waffles in the freezer so they wouldn't unthaw while I was gone...that was really nice.

I made it to the Quiznos around the corner okay (those little $2 sandwiches really are pretty good), but then I couldn't get back up the ramp to get back. I waited for a man to be walking into the Petco and asked him if he could give me a push...he gladly did.

Get the pattern here? Yes, I was sort of independent, but then again, not really...until I develop a lot better upper body strength I am sort of doomed to ask my fellow human beings for help...and you know what I find really comforting? They all seem to be happy to help me. Good manners and kindness are alive and well in the world despite what we are told on the news...don't let anybody convince you otherwise.

1 comment:

random.ken said...

More and more lately I find myself thinking that we need to recognize -- and indulge in -- our need for community. I believe the reason coffee shops and book stores have become so popular is that they offer this sense of community (how real that is, well, I guess that depends). I mean, I could easily enjoy my cup of coffee and morning paper at home, but somehow feel compelled to have that human interaction at the coffee shop 2 miles down the road.

The interesting part here is that you've probably given a few people some sense of purpose in your outing -- which brings us to how easy it may be to have an impact on the world around us, it can be as easy as pulling something down from a shelf, helping with a little push, or even being willing to ask for some help from a stranger.

Continue to heal -- and continue to be aware of all that is going on around you!