Monday, October 06, 2008

Goodbye George and Paul (And I don't mean Beatles!)


I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but I guess I got around to chewing Bono out before I found the time to say my goodbye to two recently deceased and very important culture figures for me: George Carlin and Paul Newman.

George I remember from the infamous "Seven Words You Can't Say On TV". What was more scandalous than that bit? Nothing I can think of. He showed great scope and depth, and most importantly he spent his life saying all the things the rest of us were afraid to. To put his death more in perspective, here is George's view on death and dying, from his own lips.


Then there is Paul Newman...I remember him first from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...who doesn't? I loved him doing a reprise of Fast Eddy Felson in The Color of Money, and I truly fell in love with him in one of his final performances in Nobody's Fool. That movie is in one of my Top 5 favorites if the truth be told. One of my favorite lines, "I AM hurrying. It just LOOKS like slow motion". Paul, you will be missed. I found a nice tribute to his career on YouTube which you can watch here.

No comments: