Sunday, November 29, 2009

Defending the Twi-Hards



Okay, I went and saw New Moon for the second time last night...that's not bad for me, since I went to Twilight at least 9 times in the theater and caught much shit for it. I was trying to figure out what the label 40-somethings such as myself who like the series are called, and instead found a wonderful blog post that almost says what I wanted to say. This lady was replying to a movie review in the Savannah Morning News. The post read as follows:

I enjoyed reading your article, at last an article that doesn't refer to any fan of Twilight/New Moon as being only those lonely, lustful, teens, or totally incapable of thinking. While you may or may not be a fan of the series, I found your article more unbiased and insightful, giving just a hint of what transpires without spilling the whole movie. Also appreciated is your acknowledgment of the large audience of adult women (and some men) who love this story as well. I have been told outright by some family members (I do not live with them, thank goodness!) that I need professional help for my devotion to this series, but I love the overall feel-goodness of it and the "you can make it" theme through out the story. I think it helps all of us to realize we can overcome our weaknesses and even be accepted, maybe loved (?) in spite of our weaknesses and faults. Bella and Edward both believing they were unlovable because of their own weaknesses or traits. I also appreciated that even though they felt desire for one another, they abstained and followed Edward's "old-fashioned" belief in chastity before marriage. It was something new for Bella to hear from a guy, but she loved him and wanted what he wanted. It is a worthwhile message for all to hear. Thank you for your article. Judy Bradley

Now, I don't know about the whole "chastity before marriage" thing...I wasn't too good at that in my day, but then again I never dated anybody who would most likely kill me by accident if he got too excited. LOL! But there are points to it I agree with and was thinking about as I was watching the movie again last night. What is so intriguing about vampires? They somehow find their soul mate and mate for life. The movies haven't gotten to the whole imprinting amongst wolves thing, but that's coming in the next couple of movies. Wolves also mate for life...Humans are wonderful creatures, but we do treat each other as very interchangeable and disposable...ALL of us are capable of that. I know I've "disposed" of people several times during the course of my life because something about them made me uncomfortable. I never gave a lot of thought to what I may have done to that person as a result...hopefully I've never caused anybody any sort of lingering pain. If I have, I'm sorry.

Then there's love. Different folks are wired differently to handle that. Some people can date and date and date until they find the right fit. They can even get their hearts shredded and handed back to them in tatters and still find a way to continue to pursue love without worrying about being hurt again. I truly tip my hat to those folks. I'm more of a, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" girl. I've been shredded, at least 3 times over the course of my life and I find that eventually something in your gut sort of snaps into place and it makes you a lot less capable of giving yourself to ANYBODY on that sort of level again. I don't think it's a conscious decision, it was a defense mechanism. It is what it is..

Anyway, the illusive point: The thing I loved about the Twilight book when I first read it was the absolute certainty of Bella and Edward's love. It's a little annoying that Bella won't believe him, but in her shoes it would take me a long time to believe him as well. As the readers we know what it is, but if you were living it, then it wouldn't be as cut and dried. That's what appeals to me when I watch the movie; the intensity and goodness of the relationship. It's everybody who's ever been kicked in the teeth's dream, and I find it soothing.

As for the whole vampire lifestyle? Not so sure I'd be big on the power trip angle of it, and the bloodlust...that's not any part of my attraction. Taking away the whole, "When am I going to die" part of being human wouldn't suck though...knowing your body wasn't going to slowly decompose and sag until one day you just ceased to function wouldn't be a bad thing either. I'm not terribly afraid of aging and death, but it is something in the back of my mind. I worry about LOTS of things, if I didn't have to worry about that, to quote Forrest Gump, "Well, that would be one less thing!" LOL!

So why do I love Twilight/New Moon? Because it makes me feel better...that's why. I keep it concealed, but I'm pretty prone to panic attacks and I worry a LOT. Since I quit smoking that's a little worse because I'm lacking that calming thing when I get that flutter in my gut. So if I love Twilight, New Moon, True Blood, Queen of the Damned, eventually Eclipse and I watch vampire movies all day long every day, well, leave me alone. It makes me happy dammit!!!

No comments: