Thursday, February 09, 2006

My Take On The Grammy Awards



First things first, how 'bout my favorite boys winning 5 last night? Did I hear you ask how many U2 were nominated for? Let me think...oh yeah 5. Way to go boys! I was pleased to see The Edge playing in the New Orleans tribute away from the rest of the band. It's nice to see him branching out and taking off on his own interests, Lord knows Bono sure has!

So far as comparing this year's show to last year? No comparison; last year was a lot better. HOWEVER, last year may have been the best Grammies I've seen EVER, so those are big shoes to try and fill. As good as last year or not, there were still some good performances. In my opinion U2 and Mary J. Blige stole the show with their One duet. Or more to the point, Mary J. stole the show. Even Bono had to back up and watch her go a couple of times; she was really something. Great performance!

The second performance that really stuck with me was Keith Urban. What I'm about to say goes hand in hand with my Todd Snider post from yesterday. No, I don't listen to Country anymore, HOWEVER, I did take some people back to Rock and Folkie land with me. Keith Urban is one of them. He was just debuting in America the year I was at Fan Fare in Nashville, and I was impressed from the moment I saw him. First things first, He's HOT
(see the photo at the top of this article). I heard him interviewed on KUPL when he was in Portland and the female jock asked him what he looked for in a woman. Keith replied, "A pulse".

ALRIGHT! I have a pulse! I'm IN THERE!

Next he added, "and a sense of humor...I love a woman who can make me laugh".

ALRIGHT again! I have a pulse AND if I tell him 'knock, knock' jokes or something I can at least make him giggle! I KNEW I was in there...then he got married. Oh well, I'll put him on my "married guys to watch in case they get divorced" list and keep an eye on him!

So, musically, GREAT guitar player who I feel can take the Pepsi challenge with any of the current axemen out there today; his fingers FLY around those strings. And his writing and singing doesn't suck either. Last night he was slated to do a duet with Faith Hill. Before they sang together they each did a song of their own and he chose 'You'll Think of Me' which is actually off his break out album Golden Road and not his current album. Well I'm here to tell you that Keith sang his guts out! GREAT performance, very moving. And it's a jilted lover song you would expect a woman to be singing, but Keith turns it around and is the broken hearted male...that's refreshing! An excerpt to that song:

I woke up early this morning around 4am

With the moon shining bright as headlights on the interstate

I pulled the covers over my head and tried to catch some sleep

But thoughts of us kept keeping me awake

Ever since you found yourself in someone else's arms

I've been tryin' my best to get along

But that's OK

There's nothing left to say, but

Take your records, take your freedom

Take your memories I don't need'em

Take your space and take your reasons

But you'll think of me

And take your cap and leave my sweater

'Cause we have nothing left to weather

In fact I'll feel a whole lot better

But you'll think of me, you'll think of me

If you want the whole song, here's a good link to it:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/keithurban/youllthinkofme.html

I reiterate, I was impressed. This relates to my post about Todd Snider yesterday. I feel the older I get the more I realize that there is no rules to where you may find something that "does it for you". No, I don't listen to Country anymore, but I did keep some people I met while I was there; Martina McBride, Tim McGraw has his moments, and Trisha Yearwood. The fact that Garth and Trisha finally managed to quit dancing around it and get together once and for all is the best thing in the world in my opinion. And, as for Garth? Well, I used to think it was just a Summer thing, but then I saw him singing his tribute to the late Chris LeDoux on one of the awards show...When I saw him up on that stage in Times Square with his headset on and that goofy smile on his face, yes, I'll admit I got those old familiar butterflies. Apparently it wasn't a fling, but Garth has a permanent place in my heart, and I'm okay with that.

PS: If you want to know more about Keith, his fan site is at www.keithurban.net which is a pretty typcial fan page. If you go to www.keithurban.com , well he has a bunch of his oil paint art on display there...I didn't know he was into that, but I guess that's what the page is for.

No comments: